July 27, 2010

Cider...


"...my life is a reading list." — John Irving (A Prayer for Owen Meany)

The thing about good books is how you can identify with it. I am not saying oh you read a book and you know immediately how the story ends or you find yourself finishing the hero's sentences etcetra...I have read such books before. I will not self inflict myself with such punishment ever again. Am talking about reading a book and knowing deep within that the challenges the characters faced, the decisions they had to make, the tears they cried, their triumphs, their failures...all of it...could have been you, could have happened to you one time or another,or maybe its already you...

I read Cider House Rules a long time ago and i cried a lot. I can't be sure why i was crying. i think it was mostly for myself.

Dr Larch is my favorite character . I see a lot of my dad in him. The way his first concern is always for his patients and the children. The way he buckles under the system that wont let him practice medicine the best way he knows how to.

I gave a friend Cider to read. I feel like a mother that just dropped off her child at boarding school for the first time. I want to share the treasure i have found with the world but i also want to protect her from 'wear and tear'

I thought about my book before i went to sleep last night. Just before i drowsed off. i could hear the good doctor calling "Goodnight you princes of Maine, you kings of New England."
And for the first time in a long time, i missed my father's kisses...


Song of the day:Abba-Mamma Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment