February 28, 2013

Abide with me

It is the last day in February.

I wanted so much to happen this month and it didn't.

And then I saw my friend today. He is my classmate; young and sweet. Classmate and friend and yet we barely ever see these days. So imagine the shock on my face when he told me he broken up with the girl he was going to marry.

Only a few weeks back we talked about wedding traditions and how they differed from place to place. Only last month, his eyes couldn't stop shining, his lips couldn't stop turning up in a  smile; when I teased him about her.

He says he is alright but I could see the pain and disappointment in his eyes. I wanted to hold him for much longer than I did. I wanted to tell him everything is going to be okay.

But who am I to make promises that I cannot keep? 

So much I wanted to happen this month. So much that was hoped for, prayed for...I woke up this morning thinking '24 hours more; surely this is enough?'

The day is almost over and all I am reminded of is the hymn 'Abide with me'. 
I am gonna hum it and be thankful for all that He has done. I am gonna close my sleep deprived eyes and tell myself that everything is going to be okay. Maybe when it is morning, I will believe again.

Song of the day: Abide With Me

No comments:

Post a Comment